The new EU consumer food legislation comes into force in December, and with it a requirement for food and drink businesses to clearly state potential allergenic ingredients.
Dumfries & Galloway College's Corporate Training Solutions (CTS) is running workshops to support local food businesses in compliance with this change in legistlation. The aims of the workshops are:
- Raising awareness of the changes in allergen labelling changes
- Developing delegates knowledge of food allergies
- Helping to identify ways to make businesses safer for people with food allergies and intolerances
The workshops are suitable for managers, chefs and retailers who sell loose food, and for representatives from food manufacturing premises who label their own food.
- Introduction to EU FIR 1169/2011 legislation
- What does the law say?
- Explanation of the 14 allergens
- Food for thought activity - identifying 'hidden allergens' on products
- Food Information to Consumers Regulation - Labelling
- Identifying allergens to the menu activity
- Allergen Management - House Rules
- Further reading and information
- Check your knowledge quiz
The course lasts half a day and costs £25 per person. Workshops are scheduled to run on:
- Friday 21st Nov 2014 at 9:30 am in Stranraer
- Wednesday 26th Nov 2014 at 1:30 pm in Dumfries
- Thursday 4th Dec 2014 at 9:30 am in Dumfries
For more information and to book visit the CTS website.
To refresh your knowledge or for more information on the new legistlation there are a number of presentations which can be downloaded from Resources section of DG Food and Drink.